Our mission at DSNetwork is to educate, support and advocate for those in our community impacted by Down syndrome. DSNetwork achieves this goal through an open, supportive and collaborative network that connects individuals and families with needed resources and information.
- To provide information to assist people with Down syndrome and their families to better understand and arrange for services.
- To provide networking opportunities for people with Down syndrome and their families.
- To promote greater public understanding of people with Down syndrome and the syndrome itself.
- To effect change in policies and behavior to improve services, education, employment and overall quality of life for people with Down syndrome and their families.
In January 2002, a group of parents of children with Down syndrome got together to discuss the sometimes confusing and frustrating situations that arise while raising a child with Down syndrome. From that discussion, the idea was born for a ‘one-stop information source’ to consolidate the innumerable resources that one must invariably wade through when searching for specialized information. The discussion then turned to what the web-based information network would do. The group thought it should:
1. Aid with the confusing and frustrating alphabet soup; of special needs services and organizations.
2. Allow individuals to search the site for information on varying subjects from education to recreation to alternative therapies to research projects.
3. Allow easy access and response to information on legislative issues that effect people with Down syndrome and their families.
4. Offer an opportunity to share information among participants.
From that evening’s discussion the group formalized the mission statement for DSNetwork, developed corporate purposes and then filed incorporation papers in the State of Arizona in February 2002.
For more information, please call: 480.759.9150.