Ability360 Sports & Fitness Center
5031 E. Washington St, Phoenix 85034
Parent/Guardian & Orientation:
Sunday, June 17 – 3:30 – 4:15 pm at Ability360
About iCan Swim Camp:
- Each swimmer attends the same 30 or 60 minute session each day of camp Monday through Friday.
- There are 8 swimmers per session with 1 volunteer assigned to each swimmer (1:1 ratio).
- Swimmers will not be allowed in the water without a volunteer.
- Trained iCan Swim staff will conduct the camp.
- There will be a parent orientation on Sunday, June 17th.
- iCan Swim Camp is a program specifically designed and modified for individuals with disabilities to reach their maximum level of independent movement, safety and enjoyment of aquatic environments.
- Goals will range from an introduction to water exploration, learning water safety in an aquatic environment, learning to swim, and/or skill refinement in preparation to join a Special Olympics, Paralympic or other swim team.
- Modifications may include teaching strategies, communication modifications, and physical accommodation with minimal use of equipment.
Requirements for Participation (Swimmer must meet all criteria):
• Minimum of 3 years of age
• Have a diagnosed disability
• Able to attend camp all 5 days
Swimmer Registration Camp Fee:
$150 per swimmer
$100 discounted fee for a swimmer with Down syndrome offered by DSNetwork.
Refund Policy: Refunds are contingent on replacing the camper with a new participant. All refunds are subject to a $25.00 administration fee.
- iCan Swim is a week-long program (Monday through Friday).
- There are five 45 or 60 minute session each day.
- You will select the group that fits your child’s age and works best for your family.
- Once the sessions are full, a wait list for eligible applicants will be maintained based on the order the applications are received and accepted. If an opening becomes available, you will be contacted immediately.
The groups are:
Group 1: (ages 3-7): 9:00-9:45 am
Group 2 (ages 3-7): 10:15-11 am
Group 3 (8-12): 11:30-12:30 pm
Group 4 (13+): 1:45-2:45 pm
Group 5 (13+): 3:15-4:15 pm
CJ Udall Memorial Scholarship Program: A limited number of partial scholarships are available for the iCan Swim program in Phoenix for individuals with Down syndrome who are at least 6 years old. Please wait to complete the iCan Swim Camp Registration form until the scholarship committee notifies you. You will receive notification within 5 days of submitting your application. Application for a scholarship will be added soon.
Hotel Accomodations: DSNetwork welcomes participants from out of state! For affordable, local and quality accommodations, DSNetwork recommends booking a hotel room at the Extended Stay America Phoenix-Airport-Tempe (2165 W 15th, Tempe, 85281). Make reservations by calling 480-557-8880.
- Volunteers must be 16 or older. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Volunteers must be comfortable in the water. NO SKILL REQUIREMENT.
- No prior experience with people with disabilities necessary.
- Plan to attend a 2-hour orientation on Sun, June 17th @ 3:30 pm.
- You will learn about how the iCan Swim program operates and what to expect.
- A portion of the training will be in the pool.
- Bring or wear a swim suit as well as a towel.
Questions? Contact Ariel@DSNetworkAZ.org.